What is a QOLI™ Score?
Cities offer differing levels of Quality of Life. A credible, reliable, accurate, precise, and consistent measurement of the Quality of Life of locations is long overdue. Kish LLC developed a comprehensive econometric model that provides an objective and transparent methodology which calculates the Quality of Life Index™ score for a city. QOLI™ evaluates specific components of a city, called “Elements” or Experiential Drivers of a location, and then weighs them based on their importance, or “Impact” and calculates an overall score based on a 100 point scale.
The methodology of measurement is based on an econometric model founded at the University of Michigan, famed for Customer Satisfaction Research and brought to market two decades ago by ForeSee and CFI. The ForeSee model has undergone academic peer-review and been adopted by Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies in all verticals as a standard for measuring customer satisfaction worldwide. Kish LLC has adapted this methodology specifically for measuring locations and their appeal to the average resident.
The diagram below illustrates how the QOLI™ Scoring works.
For clarity, each of the Experiential Drivers has curated Micro-Drivers. These help with the accuracy and clarity of the scoring, as well as the efficacy of the overall QOLI™ Score. The Impacts of each Experiential Driver are based on close to four decades of travel in four continents, living in two countries, and 30 years of working retail and hospitality including over a decade in Customer Experience.
Below are the definitions of each Element and Micro Driver, including the preliminary QOLI™ Impact of each Driver:
Weather / QOLI™ Impact 3.0
- Average Temperature and Humidity
- Days of Sunshine
- Seasonal Variety
- Hazardous Event Potential (e.g. Blizzards, Tornados, Hurricanes, Fire, or Earthquake)
Affordability / QOLI™ Impact 2.5
- Housing Purchasing Power – Average Price Per Square Foot (Own and Rent)
- Grocery Purchasing Power
- Average price per plate
Activities and Leisure / QOLI™ Impact 1.5
- Availability and variety of restaurants
- Public parks and recreation
- Nature (Beaches, oceans, mountains, lakes, and rivers)
Transportation / QOLI™ Impact 1.0
- Proximity – is the city walkable?
- Assortment and accessibility of public transportation (ride share, taxi, bus, light rail, ferry)
- Roads and streets (Freeways, toll roads, roads and streets)
Work-Life Balance / QOLI™ Impact 1.5
- Daily average working hours
- Days per week working
- Average commute
Education / QOLI™ Impact 2.5
- Public and private universities
- Culinary and trade schools
- K-12 Public Education
Services / QOLI™ Impact 1.5
- Beauty – availability of beauty shops, barbershops, massage
- Food – meat, catering, bread/pastry, and confectionary shops
- Auto – repair and service shops
- Health – Pharmacy, medical, dental, wellness and vetrinary
Culture / QOLI™ Impact 2.0
- Music venues
- Art galleries
- Cinemas & theater
- Historical monuments and museums
- Churches and places of worship
Nitelife / QOLI™ Impact 1.75
- Pubs & Bars
- Nightclubs and dancehalls
- Concerts and live music
Safety / QOLI™ Impact 2.5
- Police protection
- Military and national security
- COVID protocols
- Crime rates
Government / QOLI™ Impact 1.5
- Infrastructure investment – streets, roads, utilities, and public parks
- Taxes – personal and property
- Laws and restrictions
To avoid confusion in terminology, each QOLI™ Element includes “Micro Drivers” for consistency. For example, the Element of “Transportation” includes Micro Drivers of Traffic, Proximity, Assortment and accessibility of public transportation, and Roads and streets. For the purposes of expediency and simplicity, the QOLI™™ Impacts are manually created by Kish LLC. This is a deviation from ForeSee and CFI’s voice-of-customer capture and is based on decades of international travel by Kish LLC and our peers.
It’s also important to note that the rise or fall of a QOLI™ score will also impact the future behaviors of the resident such as the Likelihood to Purchase Property, Move, Visit Again and Recommend a city.Report this